Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Keyboard Kitty

I am a forceful typist. By forceful, I mean I type so hard or so fast or so resolutely that I wear the letters  off my computer keys. I have done this on every keyboard I’ve ever used at every office I’ve ever worked.  My employers are always trying to give me new keyboards because THEY can’t type on keyboards with letters missing. I just don’t see the point. I know what the letters are, whether they appear on the keyboard or not, and I will just wear off the letters on a new keyboard, so why bother changing it out?
We’ve been doing some computer upgrading at my current office, with a lot of the work being done after hours or on weekends so as not to keep us busy little worker bees from our appointed tasks. I guess the boss and the computer guy finally got so frustrated with trying to type on my keyboard with the missing E, R , I, O, S, D, K, L, C and M that the boss finally went ahead and ordered a new keyboard.  A white box arrived from Amazon for my boss and I brought it into his office.  “Wait, one of these is for you,” he said and passed a shiny new keyboard my way.

I got started changing out the keyboard at my desk.  After a few moments, I noticed a red smear on some of my paperwork and realized I was bleeding. Somehow I had cut my finger during the opening of the box, or the hookup of the keyboard….I don’t really know where or how. Not to worry. I just dug around in my handy Mary Poppins bag and pulled out a bandaid. Expecting a typical beige bandaid, I was surprised to find a “Hello Kitty” bandaid under the wrapper. Who knows where that came from or how long I’d had it, seeing as my daughter is now 20 years old.

 And then of course, looking at “Hello Kitty” on my finger, I couldn’t help but sing.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur.
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
Thank you, “Big Bang Theory,” for placing that obscure song in my subconscious. It tickled my day.

1 comment:

Terri said...

My dear friend Debbie has reminded me that the "Hello Kitty" bandaid was included in her Stampin' Up Catalog survival kit!