Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Crunchy Cookies

We recently planned a Saturday visit to Alyssa’s school for her Alpha Omicron Pi BBQ. She had mentioned in passing that she would like to have some homemade cookies, so we decided to surprise her with some chocolate chippers.
Ron was off from work the Friday before we left so I included “cookies” on his “honey-do” list before I went off to work. He just laughed when he saw that on the list and said he wasn’t going to make the cookies. Although he does most of the cooking, I am the baker in the family, and he lends the muscle when I need some thick dough mixed.
After dinner on Friday evening, Ron took the initiative and got the cookie dough started. Maybe I should have been a little more hands on when I saw him take his glasses OFF to read the recipe on the chocolate chip bag.  I went into the kitchen while he was mixing and washed all the utensils and mixing bowls. My only request was that he mix the dough with a wooden spoon and not an electric mixer.  Once he was done mixing, he commented “this doesn’t look right”.  I went back into the kitchen to spoon the dough onto cookie sheets. The color of the dough was fine but the texture did look a little off. I tasted the dough. Sweet and crunchy!  I was sure that Ron had used all the right ingredients. I began going through the recipe. “How much flour did you use?” “How many eggs did you use?” “How much brown sugar did you use?” “Two cups.” “How much white sugar did you use?” “Two cups”. Therein was the problem. Instead of ¾ cup of brown sugar and ¾ cup of white sugar, he had used 2 cups of each.
With no idea how to fix that ratio of ingredients, I threw that batch of dough into the trash. Alas, no cookies for Alyssa on this trip!  We did take her clothes shopping as a birthday present.  Nothing a little retail therapy won't fix, right?

No comments: