Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Lovely Lettering

We received a check in the office this week that nearly took my breath away. No, not because it was a large amount, but because the handwriting was so striking. It hearkens back to Old English times when writing was an art form and also reminds me of when I dabbled in calligraphy. Nowadays most correspondence is done via computer and I'm constantly reminding others and myself to keep the font SIMPLE because older/tired/strained eyes simply can't read fancy fonts with excessive serifs and swirls. If your audience isn't able to read your message, no one benefits from it.

My older sisters have lovely handwriting because they attended Catholic schools where that was the only acceptable type of handwriting. I'm able to make my handwriting pretty but don't often take the time anymore.



This check makes me think that this client is an artist who simply writes like this all the time. I really think it's beautiful. Of course, if I didn't know what it said, I wouldn't know what it said. But it's still beautiful! It makes me want to dust off my artistic tendencies and create something.

No comments: