Sunday, August 26, 2012

Epicurean Endeavors


I make an effort to try a few new recipes every week, partially to justify my ever expanding cookbook collection and my constant perusing, printing, and creating binders full of recipes that I pull from Kraft, Pillsbury, BHG, and Pioneer Woman websites and partially because I think I can be Martha Stewart. Some weeks pass with no new recipes, depending on our work schedules and other commitments, but sometimes we can squeeze in 4 or 6 new dishes. We honestly assess the results and notate the recipe with a smiley face (liked it and would cook it again), an indifferent face (eh, was ok but too much work), or a sad face accompanied by a “yuk!” (self explanatory). We also make notes on changes we think will improve the recipes for our particular tastes.

Recently I was especially pleased because Ron made a mustard crusted steak. Yes, the dish turned out deliciously well, but my happiness came from the fact that he snipped off some leaves from the pots of herbs that I have growing on the lanai. This makes me happy, because every year I plant herbs, and water them faithfully, and brush against the rosemary because I love the smell of rosemary wafting up in the air, but I generally never snip or use them for cooking. It’s almost as though they are just ornamental plants with no specific purpose. Martha would be disappointed in me, I know.




Hopefully this year it will be different!

No comments: